THE CHANGING FACE OF DERRINGTON

Back to the Trail

 

Derrington’s origins go far back in time.The Doomsday Book (commissioned by William the Conqueror in December 1085) records Derrington as Dodintone, and other early spellings are Dodinton and Dudingtun.  The first element must be the Saxon personal name Dudda, the second element ‘inga’, meaning ‘belonging to the family, followers or people of ‘(someone)’, and the third element ‘tun’, meaning ‘farmstead’.The name therefore translates as ‘the farmstead belonging to the family of Dudda’. When and why the name changed to Derrington is unknown. Over time Derrington has steadily grown. With about 350 properties and a population of around 750, Derrington today would look like an urban jungle to Dudda!

Although Derrington was primarily a farming community, for many years one of its main employers was a company called Boons, an Animal Processing Plant that was located on Derrington Lane.  Unfortunately, the process of animal rendering had its problems, including the unpleasant smell that could envelope the village.  

So, whilst its eventual closure, in 1980, meant a loss of local jobs, it also meant the village soon became a more attractive place in which to live and settle.

“There was a local character working at Boons who was deaf   and dumb. He was a well loved character in the village and everyone looked out for him, but   the overpowering smell of his job lingered about his person. He also used to deliver newspapers, but they too smelt of Boons!”

John Hughes – Village Resident


A variety of businesses now operate from an industrial estate on the site of the Boons factory, and also in and around the village – from farming to fencing, from hat making to bee keeping, Derrington is a very industrious community!

The Castle View estate flats were commissioned by Stafford Rural District Council, built by Gregory’s Construction and officially opened on 17 May 1955. They consist of 28 flats and doubled the size of the village!  One of the first people to live in the flats was Mrs. Amy Craig, seen at the centre of the photograph above, with her grandchildren, at the official opening. When she was younger, Amy lived in the cottages opposite.

[Click here to learn more about Amy Craig and her family and other memories from Derrington Villagers]

 

Follow this link for more timeline information

 

The opening of the flats in 1955, with Amy Craig centre with her grandchildren Annette Clay, Olwen Bell and Carole Watson.

The opening of the flats in 1955, with Amy Craig centre with her grandchildren Annette Clay, Olwen Bell and Carole Watson.

 

Amy as a young women in the garden of the terraced cottages on Mount Pleasant, which date back to the late 1700’s.

Amy as a young women in the garden of the terraced cottages on Mount Pleasant, which date back to the late 1700’s.

Press cuttings from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

Press cutting from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

Press cuttings from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

Press cutting from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

 

Press cuttings from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

Press cutting from the opening ceremony, Castle View Flats

 

[Next]