DERRINGTON VILLAGE HALL
Warm, cosy, super efficient and solar powered!
The Village Hall was built on land given to the village by a local farmer, Mr F Hodgkinson, in 1931.It was constructed by a group of villagers with advice from Mr F Clay, a local builder, and funding from The Carnegie Trust, and was opened in 1936. [Link to newspaper article from the time]
The Village Hall is a registered charity, with a Management Committee which oversees its daily running. Four
Trustees hold the property on behalf of the charity. The building has been very well supported from its inception. Every Friday night during the war, there was a dance at the Village Hall for airmen from Seighford airfield. The first Wedding Reception held at the Village Hall was for the marriage of Beaverly Tomkinson to Fred Moore. Within the building is a large hall, a kitchen, a private members’ social club and a games room with a full size snooker table and darts board.
The Village Hall hosts a multitude of user groups. Extensions and improvements have been made to the building over a number of years, including adding facilities for the less able. Recent work has concerned energy efficiency measures aimed at reducing bills, cutting carbon emissions and improving comfort. It was one of the first projects undertaken as part of the ‘Derrington Way Ahead’ initiative. Following an Energy Audit, lots of hard work to raise sufficient grant funding enabled the installation of a 7.5 kilowatt peak (kwp) solar photo-voltaic system, to generate electricity for use on site, with surplus exported to the National Grid.
Three rotten, badly insulated flat roofs were also replaced and zoned heating introduced, to enable heating control. As a flagship project we have shared our experiences widely. Solar panels have now been installed on several local community buildings, such as Moreton Village Hall, which also now benefit from a renewable, pollution free energy source – our sun!
‘Derrington Way Ahead’ aims to support a more sustainable village community and ‘greener lifestyles’. Lots of people are involved in an amazing variety of projects, helping individuals, families and groups within our village as well as our local and global environment.
The newlyweds, family and friends In 1936
Members of Derrington Countryside Group erecting village information signs in 1997
The opening of the Village Hall in 1936
An event in the Village Hall, late 1950s
Many wedding receptions have been held in the Village Hall over the years, this is local couple Alan and Margaret Merrick in June 1960
Launch of Derrington Way Ahead Project, 2009